Resources for EDD Assistance

As part of the Federal CARES Act, the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) initiative serves to support unemployed Californians.

You may qualify if you are:

  • A business owner
  • An independent contractor
  • An individual with limited work history
  • Out of business or seeing services reduced as a direct result of the pandemic

Visit the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance page on the EDD website for more information.

If you have become unemployed or partially unemployed, you may file an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim. Visit the EDD website to apply.

Independent contractors can use PUA. However, you may also apply for unemployment insurance if your employer previously misclassified you.

For updates on overall financial assistance and more, visit or call (833) 544-2374.

Looking for Work?

If you are looking for work, consider visiting for job resources. You can look for a job in your field or find out what else is out there.

Have a Disability?

If you're unable to work due to medical quarantine or illness related to COVID-19 (certified by a medical professional), you may qualify for certain benefits.

Specifically, you could earn up to 60-70 percent of lost wages (depending on income) from $50-$1,300 a week for up to 52 weeks.

Visit the EDD website to find out if you are eligible.

Paid Family Leave

If you're unable to work because you are caring for an ill or quarantined family member with COVID-19, you can obtain up to six weeks of benefit payments.

Specifically, this is up to 60-70 percent of lost wages (depending on income) from $50-$1,300 a week for up to 52 weeks.

Visit the EDD website to find out if you are eligible.

Sick Leave

If you or a family member are sick, or for preventative care when civil authorities recommend quarantine, you may be entitled to sick leave.

Click here for California Paid Sick Leave: Frequently Asked Questions

Workers Compensation 

If you are unable to do your usual job because you were exposed to and contracted COVID-19 during the regular course of your work, you may be eligible for workers' compensation benefits.

These benefits include temporary disability (TD) payments, which begin when your doctor says you can't do your usual work for more than three days or you are hospitalized overnight. You may be entitled to TD for up to 104 weeks. TD stops when either you return to work, your doctor releases you for work, or your doctor says your illness has improved as much as it's going to.

Find more information in the Workers' Compensation in California: A Guidebook for Injured Workers handbook.

Give Volunteer Spread the word

Newsletter Sign Up